Preparing for a Mammogram
- Schedule several days after your menstrual period ends
- Wear no perfume, powder or deodorant
- Bring previous mammograms if they were performed at another facility
Clinical Breast Examination (CBE)
- At least every 3 years starting at age 20
- Every 2 years starting at age 40
- CBE is a complement to mammography
Know What is Normal for You
Know how your breasts look and feel and report changes to your health care provider right away
What to Look for and What to Report to Your Doctor
- Lumps, hard knots or thickening
- Unusual swelling, warmth or redness
- Change in size or shape of breast
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin
- Itchy, scaly sore or rash on nipple
- Pulling in of nipple or other parts of the breast
- Sudden nipple discharge
Remember ... if a Change is Found...
- Most changes are harmless, BUT they still need to be checked!
- Don't ignore them!
- A doctor needs to determine if there is a problem
Make Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Maintain a healthy body weight throughout your life.
- Consume recommended levels of fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly the rest of your life.
- Eat good fats.
- Carbohydrates consumption.
- Consume more whole food soy products.
- Minimize exposure to hormones.
- Maintain a positive mental outlook.
- Sources of support
- Types of support
- Benefits of support
- Breast cancer does not affect just the person with the diagnosis; it is a family disease
- Know that it is possible for them to get breast cancer too
- Encourage the women they care about to get screened for breast cancer
- Remember that breast cancer is a family disease
- Breast cancer is a problem in our community.
- Every woman is at risk.
- When found early, the 5-year survival rate is over 98 percent in the U.S.
- We can improve survival rates in our country.
- Talk about your health history in your family - then talk to your doctor to help you understand your personal risk.
- Get screened.
- Learn what is normal for you. Report breast changes to your doctor.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices.