Breast Cancer is a Problem in the World
- Breast cancer is the leading cancer among women worldwide
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women worldwide
- Worldwide, one person is diagnosed with breast cancer every 24 seconds
- Worldwide, one person dies of breast cancer every 68 seconds
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer found in women.
- Breast cancer is in the list of top ten commonest cancers for the general population in the UAE.
- It is the second leading cause of death among women and accounts for 28% of all female deaths.
- The majority of breast cancer cases (87%) occur at age 40 years and above.
- Two third of women present in advanced stage ,that often required aggressive and exhausting treatment protocol
Breast Anatomy & Physiology
- Breasts are primarily fat and breast tissue
- Breast tissue is a complex network of lobules, lobes and ducts
Many breast changes occur over a womans life
What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is a disease where cells in the breast tissue divide and grow without the normal control.
WHAT CAUSES BREAST CANCER? Genetics and Breast Cancer
- Several inherited mutations have been linked to breast cancer BRCA1 and BRCA2
- Gene mutations are spontaneous or inherited
- Most breast cancers are spontaneous gene mutations
- In the U.S. only 5 - 10 percent are due to inherited gene mutations Breast cancers occur as a result of a gene mutation
WE DO KNOW THAT MORE LIVES CAN BE SAVED IF IT IS FOUND EARLY
- When diagnosed early, the better the treatment options, and the better the chance of survival
- In the U.S., when breast cancer is confined to the breast, the 5-year survival rate is 98 percent. There are 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. today.
Breast Self-Awareness (BSA)
- Know your risk
- Get screened
- Know what is normal for you
- Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Talk to your family about your family health history
- Talk to your doctor about your personal risk of breast cancer